Director of Athletics and Recreation Search
Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) is seeking a dynamic, innovative leader to serve as Director of Athletics and Recreation. This position will oversee a thriving intercollegiate athletics and recreation enterprise that serves a campus of 8,500 students.
Intercollegiate athletics at Missouri S&T comprises 17 sports (9 men’s and 8 women’s) with approximately 400 student-athletes competing at the NCAA Division II level as part of the Great Lakes Valley Conference (GLVC). The intercollegiate program is competitive at the conference and national levels and has produced 279 All-American award winners and 101 Academic All-Americans in the NCAA Division II.
The active student body has a strong interest in fitness and recreation. Missouri S&T Student Council advocated for an expanded fitness center, which opened this past year. The robust intramural program engages students in individual and team sports with nearly 8,000 entries annually.
Reporting to the Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs, the director will set the vision and strategic direction for the department and provide leadership to a team of 13 staff and 20 full-time coaches. This position will work closely with the Chancellor and Faculty Athletic Representative on NCAA and GLVC matters.
The director will be committed to creating an inclusive environment that fosters individual and team growth and life skill development. The successful candidate will be student-centered, visible, and engaged in the department, campus, and community activities and events.
Search Committee Members
- Dave Westenberg, Associate Professor of Biological Engineering and S&T’s Faculty Athletics Representative (Committee chair)
- David Borrok, Gulf Oil Foundation Professor and Chair of Geosciences, Geological, and Petroleum Engineering
- William Crutcher, President of S&T’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, Business and Management Systems Student, and a Member of the Miner Men’s Track and Field Team
- Doug Grooms, Head Swimming Coach
- Viktoria Johnson, President of M-Club, Chemical Engineering Student and a Member of the Miner Women’s Soccer Team
- Cathy Monroe, Head Softball Coach
- James Murphy, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Darlene Ramsay, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Advancement Services and Alumni Relations
- Kurt Schueddig, Recorder for Student Council, Chemical Engineering Student, Intramural Team Participant
- Nick White, Recreation and Intramural Manager
- John Butz, Rolla City Administrator
- December 2019: Search Committee Launch
- January 2020: Search Committee Zoom Interviews
- February-March 2020: Candidate Interviews and Selection