I have a question...

Students can find themselves in situations where they need assistance in resolving an issue or concern that impact their success at Missouri S&T.  Below are common topics of concern and guidance that may be helpful.  If you are not able to find your topic of concern below or need further guidance, please contact us at stuaff@mst.edu.

Concerns regarding academic matters are most appropriately resolved with the instructor or the Department Chair.  If concerns continue to persist, students can discuss the matter and receive advice on how to proceed from the Office of Undergraduate Studies located in 105 Norwood Hall, 573-341-7276, http://ugs.mst.edu. Students who feel that they have been discriminated against may file a grievance or informal concern/complaint by completing the following form http://dos.mst.edu/grevianceform/

There are a variety of resources available to student to aid them in their academic pursuits:

Burns & McDonnell Student Success Center provides an array of services, programs, academic support and success tools to students at every stage in their academic pursuits.  Located at 198 Toomey Hall, 573-341-7596, mstssc@mst.eduhttp://studentsuccess.mst.edu/.    

Counseling, Disability Support and Student Wellness offers confidential ccareer and personal counseling services in addition to supportive and reasonable accommodations for students with academic disabilities. Located at 204 Norwood Hall, 573-341-4211, counsel@mst.eduhttp://counsel.mst.edu

LEAD: Learning Enhancement Across Disciplines (LEAD) provides learning assistance for over 45 courses in the form of collaborative learning centers and drop-in tutoring.  Sessions begin the second week of classes and end on the Thursday of the last week of class. For more information about LEAD visit http://lead.mst.edu/index.html.

M-A-S-H: Math Assistance where Success Happens is a support program designed to provide additional support for students enrolled in Math 2.  The program involves meeting outside of the classroom for one hour a week with a group of other Math 2 students led by a specially trained student mentor.  For additional information students can visit http://studentsuccess.mst.edu/tutoring/ or contact Diane Hagni, 207 Norwood Hall, hagnid@mst.edu, 573-341-7648.

Math Department Help Room provides assistance for students in Math 2-22 and statistics located in 105 Centennial Hall. Math Help Room schedule http://math.mst.edu/department/deptprofile.html.

TutoringThe Student Success Center offers peer tutoring for students who has attended LEAD and still need extra help.  Students can visit 198 Toomey Hall to get additional help. If a student is struggling in a class that isn't listed on the schedule, visit the Student Success Center and they will try to find the student help. For more information about tutoring visit http://studentsuccess.mst.edu/tutoring/.

Writing Center helps students with any writing related task and any type of document located at113 Campus Support Facility http://writingcenter.mst.edu/.

Whenever there is a gap in a student's attendance, regardless of the reason, they must be readmitted back to the University through the Registrar’s Office. The readmission application can be found on the Registrar’s website here and is due by December 15th for a spring semester readmission, July 15th for a fall semester readmission, and April 1 for summer semester readmission.

If a student encounters an illness or unavoidable absence in the last 3 weeks of class or during finals week, he or she may consider requesting an incomplete grade. An incomplete grade allows the student and instructor to agree on a new deadline for completion of the course.  If the request for an incomplete grade is granted, the transcript will display an “I” in place of the grade until all work in submitted and evaluated.  Once all the work has been evaluated, the “I” will be replaced with your official grade in the course.  Students must complete the work in which they are deficient within one calendar year from the close of the semester in which the “I” grade was recorded. Incomplete grades that are not removed within one calendar year will be changed to an "F" grade by the Office of the Registrar. Students should present appropriate documentation to support their request. The Incomplete Grade request form can obtained from the Office of the Registrar located at 103 Parker Hall.

Permission is required if a student desires to withdraw from classes at Missouri S&T.  Students must obtain the necessary form from the Registrar’s Office located at 103 Parker Hall, 573-341-4181, registrar@mst.edu.  In addition to the form, students are encouraged to discuss the implications of withdrawing on their financial aid (current and future award) with the Student Financial Assistance Office located in G-1 Parker Hall, 573-341-4282, SFA@mst.edu.  If a student is withdrawing completely or falling below full-time status and reside in university approved housing, they need to contact Residential Life regarding their contract at 205 West 12th Street, 573-341-4218, reslife@mst.edu.

Counseling, Disability Support & Student Wellness (CDSW)

CDSW promotes the success and wellbeing of the Missouri S&T community through educational access, health promotion and psychological assistance. Students will face situations where they are facing new challenges, become sick, develop an eating disorder, have issues with alcohol , become depressed, injured, or dealing with significant medical or mental health challenges that disrupt their academic pursuits.  CSDW provides students with free confidential counseling services located at 204 Norwood Hall, 573- 341-4211, counsel@mst.eduhttp://counsel.mst.edu/.

Career Opportunities & Employer Relations (COER)

COER is dedicated in helping students and alumni pursue their career dreams. COER offers a variety of professional development services to students and alumni including a Professional Development Plan to help guide current students through everything they should be doing year by year at Missouri S&T.

COER not only assists students in finding full-time employment, but they help find opportunities for summer internships and Cooperative Education experiences.  COER is located on the 3rd floor of Norwood Hall. For more information about COER’s services visit http://career.mst.edu/.

Student Organizations

Students can get connected to the campus community and develop an array of skills by joining a recognized student organization. The Department of Student Life offers numerous opportunities for students to get involved with over 200 various recognized student organizations!  For more information, students can visit Student Life located at 218 Havener Center, 573-341-6771, stulife@mst.eduhttp://studentlife.mst.edu/organizations/.

The Student Financial Assistance Office is available to help students at every stage during their degree attainment regarding scholarships, FASFA information, student loans, etc. located at F-1 Parker Hall, 573-341-4282, SFA@mst.eduhttp://sfa.mst.edu/.

Fee Adjustment Appeal is available for students who experience extenuating circumstance that affect their ability to attend, complete and succeed at Missouri S&T.  Extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, medical/mental health issues, illness/death in family, being the victim of a crime or traumatic event, or other personal crises.

A student must provide documentation of the circumstances this may include medical records, letters from a doctor or counselor, court records, obituaries, letters of support, or other forms of documentation. A student must also write a personal statement describing the circumstances that affected their performance and academic pursuits in addition to what has been done to manage or rectify the problem.  

A student who believes that a greater adjustment of educational fees should be issued or that he/she should not be charged a late registration fee can file the Fee Adjustment Appeal Form available at the Registrar’s Office located at 103 Parker Hall, 573-342-4181, registrar@mst.eduhttp://registrar.mst.edu/.

Students must either renew their current permit or sign up on the waiting list to receive a parking permit. Permit priority is based on academic level (i.e. issued to seniors first).  There is on street parking available around the campus; vehicles must be moved every 72 hours otherwise they will be towed.  Visit http://police.mst.edu/parking/parking/ for additional information on parking at Missouri S&T.

The City of Rolla offers reserved off street parking in two parking facilities located in Downtown Rolla on a first come first serve basis.  Click ‌ for additional information on parking in Downtown Rolla.

Attending class is expected.  Faculty members will have different rules and guidelines for expectations of attendance in their classroom. These should be outlined in the class syllabus.  It is the responsibility of the student to contact their professor(s), preferably ahead of time, regarding class absence(s) and to make the appropriate arrangements to make up any missed course work and/or exam.  However, if a student is too ill, Student Health Services, will verify that a student visited the Health Center for an illness/injury.  This will be a written verification and will be provided to the student at the time of the office visit.  

It is the discretion of each instructor to excuse the absence; Student Health does not have the authority to grant excuses/exemptions from class. It is your responsibility to communicate with your instructor about your absence from class and make arrangements for missed assignments.

Student Affairs is committed to ensuring that students succeed in the pursuit of their personal and professional development. We encourage all students to utilize the resources and opportunities available at Missouri S&T to enhance their student experience. 

The Office of the Vice Chancellor provides referral assistance to connect students with available resources, services and options when they are uncertain which resource to contact or have a question regarding University policies and procedures.  The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs is located in 107 Norwood Hall, 341-4292, http://stuaff.mst.edustuaff@mst.edu.